Search

What to Consider When Remodeling

Everyone loves a good transformation and all the amazing before and afters. BUT there are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes. Whether you're going for a major full home remodel, or even just a bathroom remodel, these are 3 major things you really want to consider before diving in. Plus some additional tips.

Before and After- project in San Ramon

#1 How much are you willing to spend?

What's your budget? It's important to know how much you want to spend before doing the remodel. Do some research on realistic budget's for the scope of work you're trying to accomplish so you're not going in blind and have a range of how much it can actually cost. Another factor that plays into this is all of the surprises and mistakes that can (and mostly likely will) happen. If you go into the project knowing what your overall budget is, a knowledgable designer and/or contractor will factor in and set aside the potential expenses that can come up during the demo phase or if anything falls through the cracks!


#2 Get more than one quote

It's always important to explore all options when it comes to who's doing your work. 80% of the time, the costlier the quote/labor, the better quality the work is, or so you would hope. The other 20% of the time, unfortunately there are people in the trade-world that will totally over charge. On the other hand, you also don't want someone who's going to be affordable, but not give you the best outcome. This is where research is also important, i.e. read reviews and testimonials for the people you're considering and see if they share photos of their work. Designers can actually be very helpful in coordinating these things and having their resources that they can refer. Never pick the lowest bid just because it's the cheapest... the likelihood that you are not comparing apples to apples is high- and change orders can be the death of a project, they add up so quickly and are so easy to avoid if you put in the effort prior to starting a project.


#3 Expect the Unexpected

As mentioned previously, it's definitely more than likely that there will be surprises and unfortunate mistakes that will come up that add to the project. Especially in older homes, building codes continue to change and when homes settle there are bound to be some issues. There may be mold or termites or other critters that you are unaware of that can add some behind the scenes/ structural work to the project as well.


Oh the joys of remodeling! These tips are not meant to scare you or change your mind about remodeling. We just want to share things that people don't always factor in when thinking about starting a project! A lot of people get head strong and want to just make their space look pretty without looking at the big picture. We hope these tips help with your remodel journey and make it somewhat of a smoother process! Is there anything else you guys want to know about remodeling? Let us know in the comments or over on our Instagram @naomiewertinteriors! Until next week....


XO

NWI



・・Hashtags・・

#interiordesign #blog #interiordesignblog #morethaninteriors #currentdesignsituation #renovation #housetour #interiorlovers #interiordetails #interior123 #designinspo #homedetails #designvibes #bayareadesign #interiordecor #remodel #remodeltips #diy #homeremodel #beforeandafter #renovation #renovate #tipsandtricks

0 views
CONTACT
WHERE TO FIND ME

1528 N. Main Street #105 Walnut Creek, CA 94596
naomie@naomiewert.com



P: 925.322.0186

 

SEND ME A NOTE
FOLLOW ME
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Pinterest Icon
  • Grey LinkedIn Icon

© 2017 by Naomie Wert.